Sunday, October 7, 2007

Great red wine from Ohio? I found one!!!

I know Ohio can produce great reds because our climate and soil types are great for Rhone and Bordeaux varieties. However, because our climate is very inconsistent, it is difficult to grow vinifera varieties (European grape varieties, ie. pinot noir, cabernet, riesling) in Ohio. And to be quite honest, I have yet to find one that I would actually sit down and drink with a meal. Furthermore, good quality Ohio wines are perceived as sweet and coming from Northern Ohio. Well, as the title suggested, I found a GREAT Ohio red! And it is from the Ohio River Valley.

The 2005 Kinkead Ridge Cabernet Franc is outstanding! I actually did a blind tasting and had no idea what I was about to discover. The nose was brimming with juicy black berry/cherry and floral accents, finishing with a sweet touch of smoky oak. Then I tasted it... WOW! Top quality! I love the rich smokiness, delicious fruit, and the right amount of spice.

I would like this Cab Franc with rosemary and garlic roasted potatoes, lamb, or any grilled red meat (pork or chicken okay depending on sauce). As well, grilled portobello, grilled onions, grilled red peppers, and radicchio would pair well.

This wine retails for around $15-$17. Check out www.kinkeadridge.com for more info.

Happy tastings!

1 comment:

Grape Matching Service said...

Thanks for the kind comments! We're eager to see what medals we win at the American Wine Society competition! The 2005 is 100% Cab Franc, a rare beast.