Sunday, October 7, 2007

New to wine?

Are you new to wine and not sure where to start? Let me help you out.

First, if you have never, ever tasted wine, or know for a fact that you do not like dry red wine then may I suggest a few delightful starters. Start off with a semi-sweet/semi-dry German Riesling, a Washington or New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc (I like Chateau St. Michelle from Washington), a Vouvray (French wine made from Chenin Blanc grape), or my wife's favorite Moscato di Asti (sweet, lightly bubbly Italian wine).

If you have started with whites and are ready to move on, may I suggest the following. Try an Oregon (Williamette region) or California (Sonoma or Russian River Valley regions) Pinot Noir, Spanish Rioja (made from Tempranillo grape), or a Washington Merlot. Besides the Rioja, I have suggested new world style wines that emphasize fruit. These wines are easier to drink because they are "jammy" and actually very trendy right now. As well, you can easily drink these wines by themselves, whereas old world wines are meant to pair with food.

Again, this is merely for those looking to expand their palates and start experiencing wine. To all traditionalists, I feel you! I wish every wine could be a Grand Cru, Barolo, Brunello, or Opus One!! But wine is a business, people's tastes change, and I do not have the time to make homemade pasta or duck every night! I just hope to inspire others to drink wine, enjoy family and friends, and eat good food!

For those of you starting out, below is a list of quality-value wines, enjoy!

2005 Chateau St. Michelle Savignon Blanc $9-$12
2004-2005 Columbia Crest Merlot $12
2005-2006 B&G Vouvray $8-$10 (ask a wine shop owner for best Vouvray under $15)
2005-2006 Hogue Late Harvest Riesling $8-$10
2001 Campo Viejo Rioja Crianza $10-$13
Moscatoo di Asti $11-$16 (have not had a bad Moscato, taste it and you'll see why)

No comments: